What does ErP stand for?
ErP = Energy-related Products
What is the ErP Directive about?
The ErP Directive refers to Directive 2009/125/EC of the European Parliament and Council, which serves to establish a framework for setting the requirements for the environmentally appropriate design of energy-relevant products; it is also known as the Ecodesign Directive.
What are the origins of the ErP Directive?
Global climate protection targets, which have their foundations in the Kyoto protocol, demand ever-stricter directives and regulations. The EU is taking a leading position here, and has set correspondingly ambitious targets. By 2020:
- 20% less CO2 should be produced,
- 20% energy should be saved,
- the proportion of renewable energy should be increased to 20%.
These targets are also memorably known as the „20-20-20 targets“.
In order to achieve these goals, the EU Parliament and Council passed, amongst other regulations, the ErP Directive 2009/125/EC.
How is the ErP Directive being implemented?
The ErP Directive is being implemented through regulations of the European Commission. The first stage of the regulation came into force in January 2013 and the second in January 2015.
What is covered by the ErP Regulation?
The ErP Directive applies to fans marketed or brought into operation within the EU.
What effect will the ErP Regulation have on fans?
Tough minimum requirements will be placed on the energy efficiency of fans.
Which fans are affected by the ErP Regulation?
Fans operated by motors consuming an electrical power between 125 W and 500 kW.
Are there any exceptions?
The following fans are exempt from the ErP Directive:
- Fans or impellers with no motor
- Fans without electrical drive
- Fans in environments that are toxic, highly corrosive, combustible or which contain abrasive materials
- ATEX fans
- Fans designed for continuous operation at above 100 °C
- Fans with a total pressure increase > 11.145 Pa
- Smoke extraction fans
- Fans used in transport vehicles
More questions? Our team of experts will be glad to advise you!